Frequently Asked Question
Does acupuncture hurt?
Acupuncture needles are so tiny that most of the time you can’t feel them at all. On some points you may feel “qi” which is the energy of the body moving, but this sensation is not painful.
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture consists of the gentle insertion of fine, sterile needles into points near the surface of the body. The healing ability of these points have been studied by the Chinese for over two thousand years.
Is acupuncture safe?
There are no known negative side effects of acupuncture. The needles we use at Yin and Tonic Acupuncture are sterile and disposed of immediately after use.
How long will my appointment last?
Your first treatments at Yin and Tonic Acupuncture will be a little over an hour. Follow up treatments last around 45 minutes.
What can acupuncture and Chinese herbs treat?
At Yin and Tonic we have experience treating:
- Bell’s Palsy
- Sports injuries/tendonitis/chronic joint pain/tense muscles/sciatica
- Frozen shoulder/tennis elbow
- Heartburn/acid reflux
- High blood pressure/high triglycerides
- Allergies/frequent colds/sinusitis
- Constipation/diarrhea/hemorrhoids/abdominal bloating
- Dizziness/ringing in the ears/Meniere’s disease
- Infertility/assist in IVF treatment
- Many women’s issues including: painful periods, infrequent or no periods, irregular periods, PCOS, menopause, PMS, endometriosis, morning sickness and post partum depression.
- We also have had success treating the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue, ALS, Irritable bowel syndrome, and Lupus.
Can acupuncture help me stop smoking?
If you want to stop smoking acupuncture works incredibly well. How? Acupuncture will reduce cravings and when you do smoke it will make the cigarettes taste horrible.
What will I feel after the treatment?
You will feel profoundly relaxed and rejuvenated. Many patients enjoy getting acupuncture during their lunch break at work so that they can go back feeling relaxed and ready to tackle the world. Acupuncture is also a great way to wind down after a busy day.
How long will my course of treatment last?
It depends on what the problem is and how long you have had it. The general rule is that the longer you’ve been out of balance, the longer it takes to resolve. Individuals respond at different rates but most patients feel a reduction in symptoms within the first one to three sessions.
Can acupuncture help me not get sick?
Acupuncture is wonderful for general well-being, stress-reduction and boosting immunity. Many issues can be resolved early preventing you from getting sick at a later date. Some of our herbs can even fight off a cold if you take them right when you feel the first symptoms!